Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Do deer eat marshmallows?

We have a huge deer population in our area. Most of them live in MY BACK YARD. At any time of the day, there will be several wandering around. We have identified the same 9 over and over again. There are two momma's with their babies, that we have watched since they were very very small...smaller than a big dog...and now they romp and play like it is their job.

Yesterday there were 3 bucks, antlers and all, parading back and forth. They were huge. We are not a hunting family, but have friends that spend DAYS in tree stands waiting for deer to "thin the herd", never seeing any. I think it is because they are all roaming around our fire-pit snacking on leftover hot dogs and marshmallows.

Needless to say our herding dog, Harley (part sheltie, part mommawasawhore), loses his little mind. He can either smell them, or hear them, but somehow he knows when they are there. On occasion he misses the fact that they are there, until he jaunts to the yard. Then all hell breaks loose. He barks and barks and barks, running back and forth trying to get them all in order, and they just look at him and laugh. Yes, the deer laugh. Harley is not a very effective herder.

Please excuse the fact that I took the picture through a very dirty kitchen window (where the hell IS that maid anyway??) and enjoy my daily diversion from the real world.

8 comments:

hope548 said...

What a beautiful yard!

Unknown said...

Wow, it took forever to figure out where your "post a comment" was located!

Don't know if deer like marshmallows or not but I love that your family are not hunters. Logic tells me certain herds have to be thinned, but it just kills me to think there may be babies left as orphans.

My Aimless Infatuation said...

How beautiful,I don't understand how anyone could kill them,I couldn't. Maybe we should keep this quiet or you could have a yard full of rowdy hunters. I'm looking for that maid too.

Athena said...

Well, my days would be shot. I'd be lurking at the window for hours on end with the camera. How nice of them to clean up your firepit for you.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE MARSHMALLOWS! When I was a kid, my mum would let us toast them on the electric burner of our stove on the end of a hanger. And when I had them as an adult with chocolate and graham crackers over a campfire (stoned) I just about went to heaven. Ahem. Nevermind.

I didn't even know it was a window shot. Be careful, you never know what idiot it out hunting in your yard.

Anonymous said...

Deer don't eat hotdogs and they might eat marshmallows if they are easily excusable but for the baby's left alone there is no way. Hunting season is at a certain time of year to keep that from happening I'm an avid hunter and where I'm from deer season is in the fall the fawns are grown enuff to make it on there own

Unknown said...

All Hunters are not idiots all Hunters are not idiots and you're not very narrow-minded people Hunters are like Harley Riders there's a hell of a lot of them so you should have some respect and just because you don't understand don't criticize

Anonymous said...

I too have deer in my yard but mostly after dusk and during the night and at dawn. I just don't know how anyone could kill a deer, they are such a beautiful animal. We put out deer food and deer pellets for them along with apples and berries and believe it or not; they like cabbage! I have a beagle that must be broken....because she goes out side to potty and just looks at them and turns around and comes back in the house! Her yard is chain link fenced and the deer are always on the other side of the fence but no more than 5 or 6 feet away from the fence line. We have all woods in the back of our property and last year a doe gave birth right under one of our trees at the wood line. Most precious thing you have ever seen.