Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Criminals and remodeling

Ok. So here is the story. This kind of shit can only happen here in the nutty household.

A couple of years ago S2 worked one summer for a local painter/remodel guy in town, who is the father of one of S2's friends.

If you have been reading here for awhile, you may recall that this painter, though a really nice person, took 3 months to pay son the last $90 he owed him. This really ticked me off and I swore I would never hire this guy again for any jobs.

Fast forward to now. I am a couple years older, the bedroom that needs to be painted is two stories high, and I hate being on ladders.

BigD is out of town at a school till Friday, so I get the big idea to have the room painted as a surprise for him (also I want it done in this century, which meant hiring someone outside of this house to do it). I thought of this 3 days ago. So, since I don't do heights, I went on the prowl for a painter to do it for me.

When you only have a 2 day window, you sort of have to take what you can get. Yeah, you know where this is going.

Yep, friends dad was available this week. Now, in his defense, he is good at what he does. But, in the past he has had some significant legal charges leveled at him for his lack of paying bills. Well, I guess to be truthful, he DOES pay but with check paper that is only worth whatever the paper is worth.

Yep..he is a check kiter.

I really don't care, as long as he does my painting for a fair price and does a good job.

Here's the kicker though. Back when S2 was working for him, we found out that this guy had some warrants out for his arrest. Not cool. If you recall, BigD is a whoopdeedoo in law enforcement guy, so our son working for a criminal wasn't a good idea...hence the quitting and waiting for his last check part.

Ok, fast forward to today again. As I sit in my office, painter man is in the room right above me spackling, cutting in edges, and cleaning up woodwork, and basically doing what I can't/won't do.

On a whim, I decided to go to our city/county courts website to see how his old cases turned out. THERE WERE 26 CASES DATING BACK TO 1996. Shit.

The ones at the top had case numbers that were much higher than the ones at the bottom of the list, thinking they were probably newer, I clicked on them.

They are current and active. Right now he is being sued for over $8000.

The kicker.....the dude is supposed to be in court TODAY!!!

I almost shit. So...here is a wanted man, in the house of a law enforcement professional, painting, while the law enforcement professional is in another state.

I am hoping that the swat team doesn't come to the door. It would be a little hard to explain to BigD.

I called S2, because I knew he would get a reeealllly good laugh and his advice~~~

"Wait till the turd is done, then turn him in for the bounty".

Yep, that's my boy.

So, if I don't post for, oh say, about a week......send help.

11 comments:

Jane! said...

All I can say is you raised that boy right.

My Aimless Infatuation said...

That's funny! I thought I was the only one that could get in those kind of messes.BTW,how did the room turn out?

preppyplayer said...

Your life? Never a dull moment!
This guy sounds like a complete F' up.
Is his son headed down the same path?
As I sit here I'm thinking... so that's what happens to the guys that don't move past 15 years-old.
Magical thinking. If you don't deal with it, it'll just go... away...

Claudya Martinez said...

Wow!

OHN said...

Aimless,,,it is going to take him another day to get it done. I am just hoping that since he didn't go to court today, he isn't arrested on a warrant before he gets the room done :)

Preppy,,, the painters kid that is S2's friend, is actually, a really sweet girl. Smart--full ride at her college. It is just her dad that is a screw-up.

Jade said...

Wow thats wild stuff! What's even more funny is the guy had court during the time he was at your house! Haha so the guy is either really bad at remembering dates/writing them down, or he really just doesn't want to have to do the time he knows he probably owes the system.

How about you not hire him again though just to be on the safe side, eh? ;-)

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

Ahahahahahaha!

buffalodick said...

Painters, roofers, and tree removal people are notorious for this stuff.. when you find a good one, don't lose their number!

Athena said...

Screw him. Hold off paying for the painting - call Dog the Bounty hunter on him and let him beg for your money like you had to beg for S2's money!

Too funny.

Neverbeen2NYC said...

Sounds like something out a of movie with him being in your house.

Anonymous said...

YOU DID WHAT????? Girl, if you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas. Whatever you do, don't write him a cheque, he'll copy it and steal your money.

As for your son's response, not too shabby.