Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Ugly? A matter of opinion

My family is so very cruel. Every morning when I plug in the tree there is something missing. MY ORNAMENT. For years, I have lived through a chorus of "that is the ugliest thing I have ever seen", "are you going to scrub the pot with that after dinner" "I hope the lights melt that damn thing" and on and on and on.
Each morning MY ORNAMENT is missing. I have to search to find it. Sometimes it is buried deep within the tree. One time I found it in a sauce pot in the cupboard. It has survived being thrown over me, monkey in the middle style. This is the ornament that some day, when my ashes are glistening on a white sandy beach somewhere, my little snot heads will talk about and I bet will actually argue about who gets to keep moms ornament.
I have had it for as long as I remember. I have no idea who gave it to me or maybe even made it for me, but my little pot scrubbing Santa, in all its plastic goodness has hung on every tree I ever remember and will continue to do so. Ugly is a matter of opinion and my opinion is the only one that counts :) Anyone else have an ugly on their tree?

4 comments:

beagle said...

I love this story!

I have vetoed all the ugly ornaments in our collection and now I feel bad! LOL Maybe I should go pick one out and start my own ugly tradition.

xo and Merry Christmas to you my beautiful friend with the ugly ornament!

marta said...

I have 2 that my 2 youngest made at mothers day out 15 years ago. They are softball size styrofoam balls painted red and green with popcorn and a jingle bell glued to them. The popcorn looks pretty bad after 15 years as you can imagine..but they are beautiful to me!! Loved your Santa story...

Anonymous said...

My ugly is actually Rob's ugly. It is the Starship Enterprise that lights up. I hate it. And it's on the tree. :)

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

My husband has Christmas pez dispensers that have to hang on the tree! Bleah!