Thursday, December 04, 2008

FINALLY!!

Got the call today......drum roll please~~not cancer.
While that is terrific news it came with a bit of an unexpected diagnosis. Apparently at some point in time BigD had an infarct in one (or more) of his pulmonary vessels causing a large area of scar tissue that became a globby cystic jelly filled fibrous mass.
We will have a followup with Super Uber Doc in a couple of weeks to ask some more specific questions pertaining to what comes next but for the time being, the last 2 1/2 months of worry is over.
Now for your viewing pleasure is a photo journal of our trip. Some of the photos at the end are gross so if you are eating dinner right now, don't look. The night before the big CUT we spent the night in a hotel after going out and buying toothbrushes etc etc. This photo of the bed in the morning is an indication of how well we slept.
I LOVED the humor in these next shots.....the first one says "please follow the arrows"
After yet ANOTHER PET scan...we had to go see the Uber Doc which required signing in and then registering with my new BFF....check out her name, and YES she was :) She was delightful!
This next photo made me soooo sad. This kid was about 18-19. We sat in the waiting room for 2 hours waiting for BigD to be taken back to the surgery dept. This kid was waiting for someone to go back too. It took every ounce of my being to not go over to him and beg him to please start taking care of himself. He is a medical disaster waiting to happen. In the two hour time frame we sat there, he went through 3 cans of pop, a gift size container of M&M's and a couple bags of chips. So sad.
Once BigD was taken back to surgery they plunk the family in this terrific waiting area. It is actually 6 waiting areas in one.Each one had a TV, rocker, chairs and lamps. It was very comfortable. Each patient is given a number and you can follow along through the surgery process by finding their number on the board. It tells you what part of the surgical process he/she is in at that time. Very cool idea. The following are photos of the "room" S3 and I stayed in while BigD was an inpatient. My BIL is a wonderful, world traveler that floated us some of his Marr*iott points and we had a nicer room than we have had on some vacations.
Here is the view from the room and a shot that made me chuckle.
The sign says not to block the door :) NOW HERE COMES THE ONES THAT HAVE A TAD OF GROSSNESS TO THEM. ALTHOUGH IF YOU ARE LIKE MOST PEOPLE THAT SLOW DOWN AT THE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT JUST TO SEE SOMETHING...YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE.
Two chest tubes, not one, but two, because he always has to be a showoff.
The goal is NOT to fill these. This is where they put your extra parts when they discharge you. We are sooo freakin glad to be home.
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS....THEY WORKED :)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news! I'm so happy for you all. Love the photos.

Anonymous said...

OHN, Congrats. You have a large group that is greatly relieved!
Jerry

Michele said...

Awesome News! I was away from the blogs for a couple of weeks and finally had a chance to catch up. I have been thinking about you and BigD and hoping everything would work out. I was really praying he didn't have damage from the asbestos (I can't spell the meso-blah-blah-oma word). Here in Montana we see too much of that because of the vermiculite mines. (Asbestos occurs naturally along with the vermiculite).
I am SO glad you don't have "Tom" to worry about over the Christmas season.
Michele

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you I'm in tears.

beagle said...

Yay!!
Great photo essay btw! The last pic says it all . . . but if I ever have a girl I am calling her Luscious for sure!

Yo-yo Mama said...

Thank Goodness!!

Now he has no excuse not to get off his butt and hang the christmas lights, right?

hope548 said...

I am so relieved for you!!!!!
Enjoyed the photos.

Dr. Deb said...

PHEW!!!!!!!

Pamela T. said...

What wonderful news! what a relief...

Dodi said...

Enjoy your christmas miracle!!!

Stephanie said...

Glad to hear the good news! Fun pictures too1

Jade said...

Wow!!!! My goodness that was a trip!! I'm happy for you to be home too! LOL after I finished reading your post I sighed and took a deep breath. hehe

I'm so so so!!!! Happy for you both that it is not the big C. YAY!!!! I bet you both took the deepest breath after getting that news.

Ohhh yay! Now enjoy your own bed and pillows :-)

tz said...

what a great pictoral essay...and so happy for you guys and the news! What a relief, you can almost 'hear' it in your post...

Sitting In Silence said...

Soglad everything went well. xoxoxoxo

Deathstar said...

What a relief! Fabulous news! Sorry for the late comment, but I'm catching up.....