Sunday, April 26, 2009

water...i need waterrrrr

I am in sports mom hell today. S3 is my athlete. He plays basketball, football and lacrosse..the latter being his favorite, enormously time consuming, weather variable, weekend zapping sport. Don't get me wrong. I love watching him play. And, what the hell, I love sitting chatting with whoever is near me. Today though this mysteriously bright object appeared high over head and it began radiating intense heat. My pale Irish freckled self could feel skin sizzling. I sounded, but sadly didn't smell like, bacon. Someone told me it was called the sun, but living in Ohio, it is rarely seen and never when we have to sit outside for an 8 hour tournament. Most of the time, we are huddled together closer then corporate icons getting lap dances on a private jet, just to stay warm. But not today. At least this weekend our team was the host of the tournament,and I could go home between games to save at least one thin layer of dermis, but the next 3 weekends we will be traveling to distant fields, braving the curiously inconsistent weather patterns that plague our part of the country, toting along, sunscreen, an umbrella, and a parka. I shall be prepared. I was going to end there, but as my mind runs in a continuous lap and inconsistent thoughts and random things seem to blend together for some reason, when I type that I shall be prepared the thought came to me that it sounds like a girlscouting creed...I never was one because it always creeped me out that they had to go camping and sleep ON THE GROUND where bugs and slithering creatures roam. To me, and probably only to me..that is what nightmares are made of...it sends shivers down my spine to even think about it. I won't even mention where my mind just went after that last sentence.

3 comments:

Tuesday Taylor said...

I just received an email and photo from Bernie and he has just had his boat painted with the name you chose! Stay tuned tomorrow!

Jennifer Heidmann, MD, FACP said...

Spent my entire Saturday at a track meet and baseball game, both requiring winter coats and wool hats to endure. Maybe someday the offspring will recognize such things as the expression of true love it is.

Ina in Alaska said...

Sports Moms Rock!!