Friday, April 17, 2009

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP

As I have mentioned here before, S1 is an amazing computer whiz. There really isn't a question that he can't answer or a problem he can't fix, even at times talking people down off the proverbial computer ledge, by phone, from his university apartment. Earlier this week an acquaintance~~that I have always thought was rather odd~~called me out of the blue, telling me she had heard S1 was a computer whiz and wondered if she could ask him some questions. While I hesitated a bit in giving her his cell number, I eventually caved because I figured he could use a few bucks (he charges less than any geeky squad and is ten times better). So..she called him. When she was describing what was going on, he had a pretty good idea what was wrong and told her. She wanted to be certain so she asked him if he would make a house call. Today, he traveled the hour from school to our town, spent 2 1/2 hours at her house, trying to rescue her 8 YEAR OLD, virus ridden, mess of a computer, and told her the same thing he had told her on the phone...it was a lost cause. Then she hired him to build them a new computer. They went through all the parts that needed to be ordered for their needs, and set up another appointment for installation once the various parts arrive. He then drove the hour back to school. For all of his work, she handed him a measly $30. He didn't look at the cash till he got home. This family has more money than god. They travel the world. Their kids study in Europe one semester each year. They have 4 kids. Each kid has a new car. There are two Mercedes sitting in their garage. His and hers. Her husband is a physician with a ginormous practice. I have no doubt her mascara costs more than $30. cheapcheapcheapcheap So lady, if by chance you stumble upon my blog, yes, this is about you. Now I know, you are not only weird, you are cheap too. (I advised S1 to hold the new parts hostage till she coughs up the cash for them or he may end up not only building the computer but paying for it too!) Had to get this off my chest. I feel better now, and S1 learned that some people are just plain crappy. (Oh, and on the way home, he had to put 15 of those bucks in the car for the gas he used getting here and back-geesh!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That blows. I've worked for very wealthy people and I swear the majority of them have the same cheap gene. Meanwhile, some of the most generous people I know barely have pot to pee in. Go figure.

Sitting In Silence said...

That is really dissapointing for your Son....
So typical really though....
Thats why the rich stay rich...they never part with their money !

Deathstar said...

How do you think they have all that - they don't give money to anyone else but themselves. The wealthiest people I know rarely have cash on them. They only use credit cards and then write a cheque at the end of the month. People who have truly struggled for a buck are the ones most likely to pick up the tab. I used to work at a convention centre selling liquor tickets for functions. The doctors and lawyers waited for their 10 cent change and the working stiffs at their Christmas party always tipped me well.

Ina in Alaska said...

Sadly, your son learned a $30 lesson from this cautionary tale. The 8 year old mess of a computer was probably a "clue"...

Dodi said...

Is there a reason she has to involve your son any further? Why doesn't she just go and BUY a new computer? They're always on sale.

$30? I'm betting she spends more on coffee during a week than that.