Thursday, August 31, 2006

Quiet days

Well the kids have gone back to school. Yesterday was my first day that all three of them were gone at the same time. Since my office is in my house the silence was very welcoming but it also gave me a glimpse of the future. The oldest is a senior this year and next year at this time I am sure I will be beside myself because he will be off to college. There are days where I wish it was this year but for the most part I am going to miss him terribly. All of my kids are so different. Their temperaments and personalities are so opposite that it is hard to believe that we have raised them all the same way. I am a true believer that you are born the person you will be. Sure the nature vs nurture argument is a big one, but from the viewpoint in our house it is obvious that nature has the most to do with it. One of our kids we were blessed with through adoption and he has certain mannerisms, characteristics, thoughts, etc that have had absolutely nothing to do with nurture. I would love to someday find his birthmother and secretly watch her for an hour or two and see if he is like her. Ironically, I think he became my son because someone somewhere knew that I would understand him and what makes him the way he is. Now it is time for me to get back to work and appreciate the quiet hours.

No comments: