Sunday, March 02, 2008

Marquee thoughts

Do you ever have days where really crazy random things scroll through your head like on a marquee? Today is one of those days. I didn’t sleep worth a crap last night thanks to our ever present guard dog. I have mentioned before that we have a lot of deer in our area and on most mornings there is evidence they have been around but for some reason last night Harley alerted to them sleeping in our back yard—this being around 2:30 am. I don’t know if he heard them or smelled them but he felt it was right to come sit on my head to get a better look out the window. No barking, he knows better…but he did insist that I know he was protecting me from the dreaded deadly deer intruders so I got up, looked, saw the biggest buck I have ever seen here before, told Harley all was well and they had my permission to lounge throughout the yard. This went on for a very long time and when he finally settled down, BigD decided it was time to start thrashing again. He finally got up about 4:30 and went to play scrabble online. Then I got cold because he is my version of a blast furnace so when he leaves, and most of the covers have been rolled to his side of the bed during his thrashing session, I am laying there shivering. I find that is when I do most of my random thinking. This morning I was thinking politics, money (or a lack of), college, our heating bill, the state of my marriage, whether we should get another dog (I know, I am crazy), wondering if I am going to be able to survive another teenaged boy (S3 is 13-please send prayers), O.prahs show about giving away money (didn’t see it but heard about it), one of my blogger friends that is sad right now and there is nothing I can do to help, wanting to take a vacation (see above re: lack of money), making a list of all the things I need to do today which is overwhelming, why coaches schedule a sport practice starting at 9 pm on a school night for a 7th grader, and those were just in the first few minutes of laying there. Politics. Okay, I know I am probably opening a flood gate here but I am curious to see how you all are leaning towards. I am usually very slow to decide. I tend to listen and watch and hear pro’s and con’s then make a decision. I have a feeling our next president will be either Hil.ary or B.arak. M.Cain will have a presence but I think people are really wanting a change and I don't think he represents that change. This morning, I THINK I have decided (we vote on Tuesday here). The one thing that makes me crazy is that some people are deciding on either the WOMAN or the BLACK MAN. People…vote for the person that has the ability to get the job done. It doesn’t matter what their sex or color is. I heard B.arak say something yesterday that was like a smack upside my head...it was about health care and that H.ilary wants everyone to buy insurance..B.arak said that he didnt think the problem was that Americans didn't want health insurance it was they couldn't afford health insurance. That is a short statement that seemed to sum up exactly what the problem is. My own brother (who is a post all by himself) cannot afford insurance, too young for Medicare, in crappy health and is exactly the kind of person they both are talking about. Dare I say it without driving any of you away, I am voting B.arak on Tuesday. He makes me comfortable and I think he is very bright, bright enough to surround himself with other bright people to help him make some decisions that are very important for our country right now. Then I started wondering what I would do if someone (O.prah) gave me bunches of money to give away. Obviously there are places like shelters for battered women, animal rescue organizations and a plethora of other places that could use the money but usually these places are well mentioned in their local medias and people usually step up and make donations. I started thinking that the perfect thing for me to do would be to start a scholarship fund. I know what you are thinking, yes there are millions of them but mine would be special. It would be for the average kid. Like mine. Why has average become a negative?? I want to give money to the kind of kid that is going to have to go to college using student loans, have average athletic skills, are B, C students, have huge hearts and are good people. None of my boys are ever going to go to ivy league, nor do they want to. They love sports but are team players and not the standout 2 or 3 that the colleges will angle for. They are okay in school but rarely honor roll. They are loved by teachers for their wit and ability to relax a class, though at times have been told to knock it off when they get the teacher off topic, an ability at which they excel. Yeah, I would start a fund to help defray the cost for those kids that really aspire to go to college and be productive citizens but don’t have the opportunity to meet the qualifications of the students that are at the top of the class. (Did you ever notice that a lot of those kids come from wealthy families that are able to give their kids the best private school educations and private coaches for their chosen sport? Yep, the families where paying college expenses is not typically an issue, yet those are the kids that get the free rides…hmmmm). So let me know what some of your random early morning thoughts are, I have to get back to work to pay the above mentioned heat bill since O.prah hasn’t called yet this morning.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do the exact same thing. Wake up and lay there and just let the marquee roll across. Sometimes it pisses me off because I don't want to think about stuff the moment I wake up!

I've officially gotten on the Obama boat too. I want change. I want intelligence and new thinking. I don't care if it's male or female or black or white...I just want someone to lead this country that has a goddamned brain in their head and isn't consumed with power and greed.

katd said...

I am a big fan of Obama. This country is ripe for change, and I love what he stands for, too. I especially love, though, your point about getting away from the focus on "first female candidate" and "first African American candidate." Those things are great milestones, but it's about the person themselves, not the gender or skin color.
:)

tz said...

awesome post...I was up thinking random thoughts myself...but can't seem to remember them...I've also been waiting for Oprah's call...hmmm.

I'm hard pressed to decide also...hil has some experience...on the other hand Obama says the right things...but can he deliver?

such a decision. I did go for obama at the cuacus a few weeks back..

Sitting In Silence said...

I saw Obama on TV over here. It was an interveiw and he looks pretty with it..

We have to vote this coming weekend and I wish we had some people with at least half that mans brains....

Amazing....

SeaSpray said...

Hi Ohn...saw your name at urostream and thought I'd stop by to say hi. Hi! :)

Boy...you were awake and thinking. I wasn't inspired but now I am leaning toward McCain. I believe he is the best candidate to make sure we have a strong military, etc and national security is important because if we don't have that then we don't have to worry about the other things because they won't matter. I have always believed in a strong military, so this isn't just because of the WTC and terrorists. That being said...i call myself a bleeding heart conservative because I believe we need certain social programs and so in the end believe we need both wings to fly the eagle because after all we are Americans first...not just a political party.

The oil bill and electric is ridiculous. We ordered 150 gallons of oil which cost us 492.00. The tank was almost on E and we didn't think to turn it off before the delivery. 2 days later the furnace stopped working because some sludge clogged the filter. 253.00 later our oil actually cost us 745.00 for 150 gallons of oil. Hard lesson learned!

I only saw part of Oprahs show because i fell asleep but wasn't really into what I saw. i like the premise of it and so will give it a fair chance...when AWAKE!