Friday, January 26, 2007

Very sad day in the neighborhood

Three children lost their mom last night. My 41 year old neighbor died from cancer. I can't even imagine knowing I was dying. Obviously I know that I will die someday but to know you have X amount of time would be absolute torture. I wouldn't worry about my husband, he would be fine. In fact he probably would have a new honey fairly quick as there are many women out there known as "badge sniffers" that would love to snag onto a guy like him. But I absolutely cannot imagine knowing my kids were losing me. I don't have an over inflated ego, I know there are other women in their life that could be there for them, but they aren't mom. I still miss my mom and she has been gone 16 years. This neighbors kids are 15, 13, and 9. Their entire world has changed and I can't think of one thing I can do to make it better for them. As I mentioned before, this lady and I were casual neighbors, you know the kind, wave, say hi in the store, chat in line at the post office but we weren't buddies. In some bizarre way I almost feel like I let her down.

2 comments:

DD said...

I totally understand that feeling of some how letting someone down. You figure as neighbors, you should be best buds. Or that upon knowing you think you might have done more.

41. That's so very young. Very sad indeed.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to her family and especially her children. I was 17 and my brothers were 13 & 9 when we lost our dad. It is a difficult age to loose a parent.

You didn't let her down. You are honouring her memory just by posting this.