Thursday, January 12, 2012

wild and wacky day

Okay, so lets recount the past 24 hours shall we?



When we last spoke I was whining about the unprofessional, vibrating office. Since that time many things have happened.



BigD had his final doc appointment before being cut loose to return to life as previously scheduled. All went well and he is allowed to return to work though he has decided that another two weeks at home would be nice (just shoot me now) so he won't actually be unglued to me until the end of the month.



Before heading to his appointment I printed out my updated resumé and instead of faxing it to the office that is looking I decided to drop it off in person. They know me, but just in case they needed a facial recognition I wanted to have that going for me.



My quick in and out drop off turned into an hour long interview with three supervising staff members culminating with a job offer. The ad for the position hasn't hit the papers yet. It begins tomorrow. Yes, I know, I should have bought a lottery ticket on my way home.



The job was actually more full time than part-time so I initially turned it down, but we continued talking and they decided to fill it with two 25 hour people instead of one 40 hour person. Me being one of the 25 hour people. J.ob-sharing is a wonderful thing. We agreed on a salary, they offer free o.ptical and d.ental even for part-timers, there is a very generous u.niform allowance, 401.k, profit sharing....and the list goes on and on.


So lesson #1---if you aren't happy with where you are do something about it. Speak up. If you don't try, you will never know.



Then I called the doc I am leaving. I figured I owed it to him to explain why I was leaving and that it wasn't his fault. We talked a very loooooong time and he understands completely and said he has been trying to have changes made but his suggestions and requests are falling on deaf ears. So, like I said, sadly he is stuck.



I then called and left a message for the manager to call me back so I could tell her I wouldn't be there today (because of sickness, not because of the fact that I am quitting) and she never got the message. Ah yes. Another typical drop the ball event in that office. If I were a patient there, I would go screaming into the night. I guarantee you, someone will be misdiagnosed or a diagnosis will be missed because of the lack of follow through. Glad I won't be there to witness it.



So, she called me this morning and APOLOGIZED to me for the work conditions at the office. Doc had told her that he and I had talked so she already knew. It was nice I didn't have to tell her because I probably would have over-shared my review of the practice. This way, I could leave quietly, no fanfare, and a touch of class.



The invisible weight has been lifted from my shoulders but all the stress of the past several weeks has caught up with me and I feel like crap. I am off to find a cure for what ails me.

10 comments:

Pale said...

Holy cr*p, OHN. No dust on you!! That's GREAT news. Great work. Here's hoping that it will be all that you want and more.

Formerly known as Frau said...

Wow congrats......I think that it awesome and hopefully you will be so much happier! Have a wonderful weekend! I hope you feel better!

Anonymous said...

Yay for you on the new job! That place sounds like hell. Honestly, that's disgusting, vibrator talk in front of patients and penis shaped chocolate? Really?!!! I have one word for you. Nyquil. It may not cure you, but you will sleep.

PS. So what was the name of the vibrator. Curious.

OHN said...

awomanmyage it was a Rabbit something or other. I was busy trying to crawl under the desk so the entire name escapes me.

Jade said...

Wow what a great post! Looks like 2012 is being kind to you so far. Congrats on the new job! I just pretty much did the same thing as you and now I'm working at a place that is very supportive, I can make my own hours,plus I make 10 bucks an hour more than I was making. I just had to take that leap. :-)

Hope the good keeps on rollin your way!

Jerry said...

OHN... which Rabbit??

Jerry said...

Glad you are cancer free!!

Unknown said...

I have no words for this great post such a awe-some information i got gathered. Thanks to Author.

Highly recommended Top Notch Shoretel Support

Unknown said...

very informative post for me as I am always looking for new content that can help me and my knowledge grow better.

Visit Auto Accident Lawyer Site

Krayver said...

I enjoyed reading your post


Baytown IT Support, Managed IT Services, Cyber Security, VoIP, Cloud